Friday, April 18, 2008

A second cougar sighted in Illinois?



Experts are searching for track evidence, and possible deer kill carcasses to determine and confirm another cougar in the Chicago region. On Wed, April 15Th, another cougar was spotted in the Skokie Lagoons in Wilmette, a suburb north of Chicago by 2 joggers. A policeman nearby saw a cougar chasing 2 deer. These sightings were near Willow Road, and Forest View Way near the bike path. The following day Police heavily searched the 1500 acre site on foot, ATVs, and with helicoptors, but found no big cat.

However, since the Skokie Lagoons, as well as many of the forest preserves around here are full of low swampy heavily flooded areas in Spring, the police were hindered in searching every single area. Its very possible the cougar could have hidden up in the trees, or even moved out of the Skokie Lagoons.

Could it be the mate of the 2 year old male from South Dakota? Could have been a sibling who traveled along as companion to the now slain one killed last Monday in Chicago?

Black & White Photo courtesy of ScottBulgerPhotography
********************************************************************

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am happy to see you are blogging away! And doing quite well at it.
An interesting read.

Debra said...

Thanks for leaving a comment and visiting my blog.
You have a great blog and Etsy shop.
I would love to exchange links...I will add you to my blog list.

Thanks,
Debra

Urban Woodswalker said...

Thank you very much! Its so hard to blog and then get it out there to the world. I really appreciate the kind words from both of you. ♥

Holly said...

One of my favourite blogs. How you find those beautiful cougar photos is beyond me, they're gorgeous.

Holly said...

One of my favourite blogs. How you find those beautiful cougar photos is beyond me, they're gorgeous.

impotence said...

Generally I do not read article on blogs, however I wish to say that this write-up very compelled me to try and do it! Your writing taste has been surprised me. Thanks, quite nice article.